Wednesday, May 7, 2008

One More Day

Tomorrow is Ella and Aidan's 1st Birthday. 9:32 for Ella and 9:33 for Aidan.

I sit here on the eve of such a momentous day and reminisce about where I was and what I was doing a year ago today.

I had spent the day running errands - I was so ridiculously active. I was still cleaning the entire house all by myself. The only thing the Dr had told me not to do was vacuum.

I would waddle around Babies R Us just for fun. I went to Target constantly (and still do today). I even had my Mom's Mother's Day gift all ready to go!

I couldn't make it all the way around our block anymore (it is a mile long loop), but could make it about halfway and back. My feet were sooooo swollen, and if you pushed in on them, the indentation would stay for a long time!

Swelling aside, I felt great, and think that I probably could have made it to 40 weeks, but at our last ultrasound Aidan was measuring well over eight pounds and Ella was over seven, so the Dr said it was time for them to arrive.

Anyway, Mike and I had finally decided and finalized their names, so we went to Michaels to buy the letters for their name plaques in the nursery.

We had debated for so long over names...for Ella, other top contenders were Madison, Mckenzie, Emerson, and Annaliese. For Aidan the other top contenders were Zachary, Benjamin, Ethan, and Wyatt.

Ella and Aidan were not even names on our original lists anywhere...the names just hit me about a week before they were born. We tried them out for a week, then decided that was it - Ella and Aidan it is!

It's funny - in hindsight, once the names hit you, how perfect they really are. I can't see either one of them as any of those other names.

Mom and Dad had arrived that evening and we all spent time together just talking and enjoying each others company. We went out to dinner to Miro - my favorite restaurant, and I had their wonderful salmon.

Then it was back home to "relax". Yeah, right!! I was so excited and nervous about what May 8 would be like that there was no relaxing or sleeping. Despite having to be at the hospital at 7:30 AM, sleep was not for me that night.

How could I possibly sleep knowing that I would be meeting my babies in the morning. Tomorrow, I would earn the title that I had so coveted and worked for these past three years.

Tomorrow, I would become a Mother.

No comments: