Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy Memorial Day!

At this time last year Ella and Aidan were about 2 1/2 weeks old, and Mike and I were in the throes of adjusting to life with twins. Oh my gosh it was hard. I often overhear other Mothers discuss the ins and outs of bringing home their one little baby...but we had two. Two little souls so very dependent upon us for their every need.

And we were clueless.

For the first time in my life, I felt as though I truly needed my Mother. She will probably get a little teary eyed when she reads this, but it is true.

I have ALWAYS been a fiercely independent person. I never wanted to be told that I couldn't do something, much less that I needed any help doing it! But having twins is an entirely different thing than bringing home one little baby.

This weekend, all I keep thinking about is Memorial Day weekend last year. Mom and Dad had just left after being here for two weeks after Ella and Aidan's birth. Mike and I had barely been alone with the babies for a week, but when Mom and Dad called and asked if they could come back for the holiday weekend, I think I barely uttered the words "Please come" amongst the tears.

We were so darn tired and sleep deprived. Neither baby slept more than 1 1/2 hours at a time..and they were up at opposite times. That meant for 24 hour shifts for both of us around the clock. Neither one of us had slept in days. I was still recovering from the C-Section. I didn't take the extra night you "earn" in the hospital for having a C-Section. I figured, what the heck, how hard can it be? Never one to shy away from facing a challenge, I was ready to simply get the babies home.

Do you think I can go back now and have that night?

They won't have to feed me or ever even come in the room...I will just sleep in that comfortable bed that moves and adjusts to ever conceivable angle...and have all of the really good ice that I want. (I was anemic toward the end of my pregnancy and all I craved was ice...and the only places that had the good ice - those tiny little pellets like bunny poop - were the hospital and Sonic).


But, I digress....this year's Memorial Day was much different!! I spent most of it alone with the babies.

Mike had to work on Saturday as well as today. We were only together on Sunday...but we filled it with as much fun as we could. Poor Mike, he was so tired from being up all Saturday night with a pretty big fire!


So, Sunday is all I have to write about this year...

I did my usual exercise walk in the morning, we went out to a nice lunch with the babies, and after they woke up from their afternoon nap, we headed over to our friends house for a little BBQ. The Hitts have twins as well, Charlie and Ansley.


After that it was on to Mike's parent's house for more food and festivities with his sister and her family. We pushed the envelope a bit and kept the babies out until a bit past their bedtime...but they did just fine and were completely zonked out after their baths.

Although I have been alone with the babies pretty much all weekend, it has been nice. For some reason, I have been very reflective for the past week or so.....maybe I am still adjusting to the passing of Ella and Aidan's first year..who knows....

Here are a few pictures from our holiday "day" together!








We managed to coax Ella into the grass!!









No comments: