Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

For me, this day is a time of reflection. It's my second Mother's Day. How can it be my second one already? Time goes by much too fast.

It makes me wonder how my own mother must feel. To me, like many of you Mothers, this is a special day. It's not because of the mother's day cards, "signed" in crayon, the flowers or even lunch with friends and family.


It's the fact that I get to celebrate this day at all.

Today, I choose not to experience it as a day for me, but to reflect on the two precious little souls who have changed my world. Ella and Aidan, I want to thank you. Every since that May morning when you were born and placed into my arms, you have taught me more about the value of love than I would learn if given an entire lifetime.

Now that you are with me, the world has become an exciting playground. Together, we notice the trees and the neighborhood animals. It amazes me to witness your every new discovery. How you babble to each other in your own twin language. In the back yard, you squeal and grin wildly, watching the blades of grass sprout up between your toes. I hope you will always have this fervor and passion.

I make it a point to tell you every morning and every evening all of the reasons I am proud of you. Of course, there will come a day when you find this routine boring or intrusive as you seek more independence, but I quietly hope that you remember these years or at least maintain the confidence and determination you have now.

Mother's Day is so special to me because it reminds me of the vibrant color you have brought into my world and for the life you have breathed into my spirit. In this sense, I suppose we are both discovering a new world.

I celebrate this occasion not because of what I have offered to you, but for what you have given to me. You are two of the most amazing little babies, and you have made every moment a new adventure.

Happy Mother's Day, my sweethearts. I love you!

PS: Mom, thank you for setting the bar so high. I have waited my whole life to have the relationship with my two children that you and I have.

Happy Mother's Day Mom, I love you!


(picture courtesy of Emily Feinsod)

1 comment:

Juliane M. Kilcoyne said...

Happy Mother's Day, Jennifer. You are a wonderful mother and a fantastic friend, I hope you have the peaceful day you deserve. Love, Jul