Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Farmers Market Finds

I went into our little adventure to our local farmers market this morning with the hopes of finding something to keep Ella and Aidan busy and entertained for a while, finding some fresh food, and maybe finding some new new vegetables/fruits to show the kids that cannot be found in a regular grocery store. 

It is my firm belief that every day activities, even something as simple as a trip to the grocery store, are all opportunites to learn, experience and grow - and I love anything that make the process more fun for everyone!

In the end, I found it to be much more fun and educational than I ever imagined!

After we got our bearings and explored a little....

































Ella and Aidan surprised me by asking to find something to buy that they could pick out themselves, so I gave each of them $5 and told them that they could use their money to buy whatever they wanted!

Aidan immediately found a bunch of green grapes and Ella quickly found herself a large watermelon.

And then they caught sight of the flower stand, and both ran over screaming "Sunflowers!". They were beyond adorable as they each waited their turn, handed the young man $1, and were given their very own sunflower in return.

While selecting their respective grapes and watermelon were fun, the sunflowers sealed the deal for our little duo!


I was amazed at how quickly they grasped the basic concept of money and how to purchase an item, and was asked by many surprised onlookers how old they were.

It turns out that there is a lot more to find at your local farmers market than just food.  While I did indeed find some fresh veggies, discovering out that three is not at all too young to begin to teach such grown-up activities was my personal score of the day.

If you ask Ella and Aidan, they probably have no clue just how grown-up they were this morning, they just know that they found some pretty amazing sunflowers!


2 comments:

Jane said...

I am so glad you had a good time at the farmers market - my kids love love love going -they too love buying things they pick out and flowesr - it is easier to get those veggies eaten when they get to pick out what they want

Paula said...

You've got to bring them to my Dad's farm. He planted an entire acre of Sunflowers because his honeybees pollinate them and use the nectar to make homey. The kids may also pick vegetables.