Thursday, June 12, 2008

Scatterbrain

Once upon a time, I had a brain that could multi-task. Or so I thought.

That was before years of hormone injections, a twin pregnancy and sleep deprivation. Now, my brain is mush. Absolute mush.

I'll get up to do something - say refill my water glass. And then I'll notice that the washing machine has stopped. So I'll put the glass down in some random place, and transfer the clothes to the dryer. Then I'll notice the dog hair on the floor, so I'll try to clean that up while keeping an eye on the babies in the other room. Then I'll remember I need to defrost something for dinner. Thirty minutes later, I'll still be thirsty and have no idea where my glass has gone. Worse yet, I won't even remember what it was I was doing in the first place. By the end of the day, there will be six partially consumed glasses of water spread throughout every room of the house.

When I write these days, it's scary. I commit errors that are my own pet peeves. Substituting "they're" for "there". Or I'll spell something wrong.

Forget having a conversation with me. I'm half-listening, I promise. And should a random, seemingly important thought pop into my head, I'll forget everything you've just told me.

I've even gotten in the car and turned the wrong direction because I forgot where I was going. Fortunately, I have managed to fasten the kids into their car seats each time.

The grocery store is a joke. Distracted by trying to keep two little ones from pitching a fit, I'll forget all the essentials (even if they are written down!), but manage to walk out with some completely irrelevant item that I never knew I needed.

I started this very sentence yesterday. I have no idea what I had intended to say.

Just a little scatterbrained.

No comments: