Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I Hope You Never Forget

I tried to tell you how immensely proud I was but your kindness left me speechless.


Instead I hugged you and quietly whispered "I Love You" in your ear as I walked away. The last thing I wanted to do was to interrupt a memory that I (and maybe you, too) will take to the grave, so I hid in a corner and watched from a distance.

I observed patience - the same kind you had as a toddler when building block towers, never growing tired until the job was done. Today you sat quietly beside your new baby sister and slowly showed her all of the toys on her playmat.  I witnessed you patiently explain each hanging item, one at a time in your signature serious nature. 

My heart swelled with pride when you silently leaned down and kissed Lauren's cheek. I recognized love - the same kind you had as a toddler when you begged for cuddles and snuggles after your nap.

I am so proud to be your Mom. I hope you never forget what I whispered in your ear, just for us to remember. I never will.

No comments: