Saturday, May 1, 2010

Three in One

The week before Ella and Aidan turned one, I was an emotional mess. I couldn’t stop thinking about their birth. I mourned a normal way of getting pregnant and a normal newborn experience. I was also ecstatic because we made it through the first (very hard) year. Yet I was still so exhausted, so tired, and so overwhelmed.

The week before they turned two, I was emotionally strong. I finally felt like we had our heads above water and having twins complemented our life rather than dominated our life. I no longer mourned for experiences I would never have because I loved our life. Our life finally felt normal, and things felt easier as Ella and Aidan gained more independence.

Ella and Aidan will turn three in exactly one week I am once again an emotional mess. This is the first birthday that I have realized how very fast time is slipping through my fingers. I see how limited my time is with them at home and it makes me sad because this has been an amazing ride. Usually I try to get myself to snap out of it, but not this time. This feeling of life slipping away is helping me live in the moment and enjoy these times. All too quickly my babies turned into toddlers. As they turn from toddlers into mini-adults, I want to be present and in the moment.

When I was a child I used to think I’d feel so old and mature by the time I was a mom. That I’d have it all figured out. But the secret that no one tells you is that grown ups don’t really have it figured out either, and that we still feel like kids in a lot of ways.

Ella & Aidan,

When you are old enough to read this and understand the emotion behind these words....

Know that these past three years have been hands down, no contest, the BEST three years of my life, and it's ALL because of you.

We wanted, prayed and longed for both of you so much and for so long, and we were right....life is SO much better with you here.

Thank you for enriching our lives beyond words.

1 comment:

Annah said...

Those pigtails are just too CUTE

Annah,
http://whenredmeansgo.blogspot.com