Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Rite of Passage

I thought I could keep her little forever.

Really, I knew in my heart that it was just a pipe dream....but I really did believe it would be just a bit longer before my firstborn asked for this....




Ella has been asking (i.e. begging) for months to get her ears pierced. I have not been too keen on it and I remember it being a really big deal for me when I had it done (though admittedly, I cannot remember how old I was when my mom finally gave in).

"But Mom, Avery has her ears pierced"

"But Mom, dont you want me to be even prettier than I am now?"

"But Mom, I want to wear jewels in my ears like you do!"

So today on a random trip to the mall for nothing even remotely related to ears.....I caved.

Perhaps it was the presence and nonchalant reaction of my husband to her repeated requests. Perhaps it was because it was the end of the day and I am extremely under the weather and barely functional that dulled my wits. Perhaps it was the restless baby and hyper twin brother dancing around that made me lose focus just long enough to let the word "Ok" slip from my mouth.

Or perhaps it was just that I decided that if she is ready, then I am ready.

She hopped up in the chair in her sweet school uniform and end of the day straggly hair with a huge grin, hugging the teddy bear and clutching her "post piercing" lollipop tight....



....not even a flinch as the dots for placement were drawn....


....and as the actual piercing took place....


...my baby girl's eyes became as round as saucers and a brief look of panic came across her face. I hugged her so tight and praised her over and over, fearful that she would suddenly want to undo what cannot be undone.

She never shed a single tear, just clung to me, no more need for the bear for encouragement, asking if she was brave, and how did it look.



I was the one with tears, not Ella.

No comments: