Thursday, April 29, 2010

That Feeling

You know that feeling?

Not the feeling of disgust when a runny nose gets swiped along your bare shoulder...

And, no. Not the feeling of sticky jelly and yogurt-covered hands, which somehow always manage to make it into hair...

Not the feeling of desperation you get when your child is sick and you pray for it to be taken away and given it to you because you don't want them to be suffering...

I'm talking about the feeling you get when you go into your child's room and see you one of them sitting up in bed. Sobbing.

When you pick her/him...and bunny, or Buzz, or Minnie up all at once as requested, in an attempt to console and comfort.

When she/he wraps their little tiny, yet ever growing arms around your neck and squeezes so hard you think you may never take another breath.

When your heart suddenly quadrouples in size in an instant.

And a smile spreads wide across your face, along with a solitary tear down your cheek.

And you realize that this child, who's body used to fit in the crook of your elbow, and now extends to your thighs, is still completely reliant on you for comfort, compassion, and love.

When you realize that you would deal with one million illnesses and even more sleepless nights just to spend another moment with this precious gift you call your child...

Moments like right now when I am awake at this crazy hour of the morning and my heart feels as though it could not possibly hold one more ounce of love for those two little beings.

My joy in being a mommy. The joy I have found in my children.

Those are the moments.

That's the feeling.


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness gracious! This is just awesome and so true! My mom and I have been following your blog for a few months now. She first found it and then sent it to me. I am really not sure how she found you but I am glad she did. I have a 15 month old son and these words you have written are so true. Thank you for making me take a moment and just sit and take it all in! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! -Dana