Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy 4th Birthday Ella and Aidan!

Ella and Aidan turn four years old today. And with their fourth birthday, I'm reminded that we have also survived 4 years of parenting twins.

When I was still pregnant, I could not even imagine what it would be like to have two babies at the same time. I heard horror stories about twins and "double trouble" and how we'd be lucky to survive the first year. 

But once Ella and Aidan arrived on the scene, I was pleasantly surprised. Life was crazy, but it was crazy good. And manageable.

Holding two babies became second nature. Feeding two felt normal. Diapers took over the storage closets. Toys took over the living room. And today, pink shoes, purple dresses, and princess crowns find their places amongst the toy cars, camouflage and superheroes.



And I have to wonder....


Do you see it? The wealth of possibilities just bubbling over? They believe absolutely anything is possible. They think I can do anything….and are just beginning to question if I will be around forever.

They make me want to wear a cape, to sweep them away from any tough situation, to wrap them in my arms and keep them safe. Everyday and everywhere.

Today, my babies, these tiny, little infants made me a mommy.

It sounds so trite to say the last 1,460 days have been blinked away, but it most definitely feels as though they have. I blinked and they were born. I blinked and they could walk. I turned around to cook dinner and they were talking. I ran to the grocery store and they have almost finished their second year of pre-school.

Of course, what I’m neglecting here, are the million hugs and “I love you, Mommys”. Each one of those is etched into my soul. They are the most special because it means they feel loved, they feel cared for and respected.

My Sweet Ella and Aidan,
When you were born, I was so taken by your soft hair and your big beautiful eyes, I couldn’t bear to look away. I forced myself to let other people hold you, if only to spread the joy that seeped from your pores.

I now find myself having a similar experience. While you have grown from helpless infants to ’I can do it’ toddling toddlers to the independent little treasures you are now, I have often held my breath, hoping I would know when to hold your hand and when to stand behind you with a little push. When I look into your eyes, I see possibilities. You truly believe ANYTHING can happen.

And that is magic….

The kind of magic I will bottle and do my best to sprinkle over you as you sleep each and every night. You can’t put a price on that kind of faith in the world.

During this last year – your fourth, I have seen the most significant changes in you – more than walking, more than talking. As these are tremendous milestones, they seem rooted in the physical. What I am witnessing now is the growth of your mind, of your heart. You are learning compassion and empathy. You are learning to give, to hurt, to be you.

You are these beautiful little souls. From you I have learned patience, I have experienced family, and I have evolved. I am a better person for having you in my life. I loved watching you become not only siblings, but also friends. A friendship that started long before you were even born. You still reach out for each other, just like you did as babies, just to make sure the other one is there.

Happy, Happy Birthday to my sweet little ones..wishing you a million days that reflect the possibilities you see. Thank you for giving me the best gift that anyone could ever ask for. Thank you for making me a Mommy.

I love you all the love in the world.
Your Mommy

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Happy 4th Birthday Aidan and Ella!!!