Tuesday, September 8, 2009

First Day of Preschool

Wow - what a morning!  After a brief photo session in the front yard, we were all packed up and ready to go!




Ella and Aidan proudly wore their little backpacks and marched right into the school and their classroom without even a moment's hesitation.  As Mike and I walked away after dropping them off, I literally felt sick to my stomach and had to resist the urge to turn around and go scoop them both into my arms and forget the whole idea of preschool.






Today was an "ease in" day and they only went from 9:15 - 10:45.  They will be on their normal routine on Thursday (9:15 AM - 1:00 PM).  Mike did a good job of distracting me throughout the hour and a half that they were in school by taking me to the mall and letting me browse in Pottery Barn Kids, Gymboree, etc.  Nothing like a little retail therapy!

I will admit that we both spent the morning constantly checking our watches, eager to go pick them up.  Not surprisingly, we wound up back in the parking lot about 15 minutes early - which turned out to be a good thing.

We managed to catch a glimpse of them returning from the playground, all walking in a line, each holding on to their own little loop of the long "lead line" rope.  We stood back so as not to be noticed by the kids.  It was unbelievably precious, and brought tears to my eyes yet again.



All in all, it was a virtually tear-free morning.  When we arrived back at their classroom, they were beyond thrilled to see us and ran right into our arms - Aidan was a little misty eyed at the sight of his Daddy.

They both were so excited to tell us all about their morning.  Ella told us about the sand, the rope and the play food in the kitchen.  Aidan told us all about the big dumptruck and the sand castle.

Sometimes, life just moves too fast!

1 comment:

Juliane M. Kilcoyne said...

I'm so glad their first day of school was so wonderful! xoxo