Saturday, April 11, 2009

Ella and Aidan's Very First Easter Egg Hunt!

We had such a fun morning!  The weather was perfect - a bit windy, probably residual from last night's thunderstorms - but absolutely beautiful!

We met Juliane, her husband Gill, and their twin boys – Patrick and Finnegan – for an Easter Eggstravaganza at a local recreation center for an Easter Egg Hunt and Bunny Train Ride.

Having never been before, I was a little anxious about doing this alone, but Juliane and Gill were there to help me keep Ella and Aidan in tow. But to be quite honest, they really didn’t need any major corralling. Both Juliane and I were thrilled to discover that the event took place on a fenced in soccer field, complete with nice soft turf grass!

Ella and Aidan did so great, and stuck pretty close to me most of the time….well, at least with me in eye sight! It wasn’t terribly crowded, which made for an even more pleasant experience! The kids all had so much fun just being able to run around in a large open field.

I continue to be amazed by my little ones and at just how polite and well-behaved they are at not even two years old!

Checking out their baskets:



Taking off onto the field:


Classic twin moment - heading in opposite directions:



We arrived right at 10 AM and the Easter Egg Hunt began promptly at 10:15. The kids were all so cute lining up and when they blew the whistle, off they went!

Patiently waiting for the hunt to begin:



And they are off!



Ella was a little madwoman collecting as many eggs as she could possibly fit into her basket! Aidan, on the other hand, was much more methodical and selected his eggs with a bit more discretion. 

Ella's first egg:


Aidan's first egg:


All alone in a field of eggs:


Ella found them all - except that little yellow one behind her:





When time was up, we all sat down to go through our baskets and see if anyone had any of the “prize” eggs. Sadly, we did not. Aidan chose to kindly donate all of his eggs back to the event personnel so that they could be used again. Ella; however, was not about to part with her winnings!

Checking out their eggs:


After the hunt we got into the short line to ride the little bunny train around the field. Aidan was really excited, but was so very well behaved and stood in line like a big boy. Ella got scared and requested that I hold her the entire time. Once the train arrived, we got on board – Aidan like a perfect little man, and Ella like a screaming banshee. She screamed the ENTIRE train ride, while sweet Aidan sat quietly with his infamous straight face. As we pulled in and got out of the train, I put Ella down on the ground and she stopped crying, laughed, and said “FUN”!

"Enjoying" the train ride!



Typical Ella.

All in all it was a FANTASTIC morning. I didn’t want to go home right away and decided to take the kids to lunch. Sadly, everyone I know is busy w
ith their families this weekend, so I took them out by myself. The kids were great at lunch – and our nice waiter felt bad for me being all alone and gave me my meal for free! How cool is that?

Opa and Grandma Suzy arrive early this evening, and we cannot wait to see them and to have our Easter Weekend officially begin!

Great picture - aside from my windblown hair!


1 comment:

Juliane M. Kilcoyne said...

We had a wonderful morning with you! Thank you so much for joining us - Patrick and Finnegan always love to play with Aidan and Ella.

Jen, I'm sorry, had I known you were up for lunch, we certainly would have gone. Instead, we just did some grocery shopping and went home!

Happy Easter!