Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Food Wars Have Begun

Sweet potato in the hair.

Yogurt smeared all over the tray.

Two excited babies each with a spoonful of oatmeal. Shake spoon excitedly! Yell loudly! Food goes flying….seriously, it’s airborn. It’ll hit the table behind them, or the floor two feet away, or perhaps, one of the dogs as they walk by.

And that is if, and only if, they haven’t managed to simply toss the bowl of oatmeal on the floor without even giving it a try.

Their favorite trick is to throw something over the side (of the high chair, the crib, the stroller) and then lean way over to watch it. Where did it go? On the floor? How fascinating to see it there! Let’s see what happens if I do it again!

The latest indication that they are “all done” appears to be sweeping their hands back and forth across the tray, thus tossing all leftover food onto the floor. My floor is covered with small bits of snacks and splotches of purees. I can never seem to clean it enough.

I can’t say I’ve ever dealt particularly well with the mess. I have resorted to dinner in a diaper only because I think makes perfect sense. Why get clothing covered with food when you don’t have to? But this isn’t really a practical solution for all meals.


To top it all off, telling them "No" just results in glorious squeals of laughter. Holding their hands still, well, that is apparently even funnier. Taking away the tray and declaring an end to the meal seems cruel - what if they are still hungry?

They have always been such excellent eaters, but lately, meals are an all out exercise in patience on my part. I should note that it really isnt Ella - she is never the instigator. She is; however, a copy cat. Thus, once Aidan starts his antics, she immediately copies him.

I have to wonder, what do other parents do, especially those of multiples? What am I doing wrong? Is this simply a developmental stage, or am I already inadvertently leading these little ones down the road to bad manners?

If you are a reader of this blog and have ANY suggestions...I welcome them!!

The below video is just a small sample of how the food ends up on the floor!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a mother of 3 year old multiples, I will tell you that they will outgrow the stage of throwing food everywhere. If they are indicating that they are done, even if it seems to you that they haven't eaten all that much, I wouldn't worry to much about that. They will eat when they are hungry.